Sunday, May 22, 2016

Blog #4-2

Unfortunately this is the last blog of the year:( But I hope you all have a fantastic Memorial Day weekend! As my final blog I figured I'd read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green since it has been one of the top trending books today. Green introduces the two main characters, HazelnGrace Lancaster a 16-year-old cancer patient and Augustus Waters another teen who appears to be in the same cancer support group as Hazel. They both share the same interests and acerbic wit which brings them so close to each other. After being diagnosed with thyroid cancer, Hazel had thought this was in fact the end however it was a completely new chapter. The book was a tragic love story but Green uses an abundance of imagery patterns to convey the audience in to feeling the true pain and emotion these characters faced. What approach would you have used for an audience to truly understand the meaning of the story? Although some may relate, others may not fully comprehend the purpose of writing such a phenomenal novel on how I see as true love that ultimately ends catastrophically. Not only does Green hook the audience into wanting to learn more, he wants the audience to imagine how they would be in this position.



There are many reasons why Augustus and Hazel would feel alone or empty inside yet Green focuses on the positivity. He speaks about wanting to leave a legacy and is optimistic throughout the novel despite Hazel's critical conditions. Green goes on to say that the meaning of "The Fault in Our Stars" is it was fate they were going to meet and cross paths. In fact, he quoted "But it is the nature of stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he was Cassius note, 'The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars but in ourselves". The title also argues that some things is not always to be blamed on our fault because it is simply uncontrollable. How would you explain the meaning of the title of this novel? The beauty of the message is that despite the fault in our stars, although sometimes it may seem inevitable fate we can still live to make our own choices.



1 comment:

  1. Hey I loved your reading your post on the Fault in Our Stars. I thought the movie was amazing and had an sad, but realistic ending. I've been wanting to read the book but I haven't gotten the chance. Maybe I will once school is officially over. Anyway, I find it really interesting how the title of the book was a reference to a line in one of Shakespeare's works of literature. In fact, I didn't really didn't know what the title meant. Great blog and nice use of vocabulary. Have a nice summer it's been awesome working with you :D! Take care... and yes, I did get points taken off my average for eating skittles during class lol.

    ReplyDelete